Home Rehabilitation

Housing Rehabilitation Assistance

The Department of Community Development can provide housing rehabilitation assistance to those residents who are eligible. The rehabilitation program is outlined on this page. Applications are currently available and being accepted for this.

You may qualify if:
  • You own & have lived in your home in Rantoul a minimum of one (1) year.
  • You meet general requirements related to cost of construction, zoning, etc.
  • The sum of all liens and mortgages on your home do not exceed 95% of your home's value.
  • You and your household do not exceed the following HUD income limitations:
# of Persons in Household Maximum Income*
1 $46,850
2 $53,550
3 $60,250
4 $66,900
5 $72,300
6 $77,650
7 $83,000
8 or more $88,350
*Income includes earnings, dividend, pensions, social security, interest, public aid, or any other source of support.

  • Priority will be given to households with a disabled family member and to households aged 62 and older.

Programs Available

  • Major Rehabilitation Deferred Loan Program - Assistance up to $20,000 is available for major repair or renovation of homes which contain several code-related issues or are in need of significant rehabilitation (cosmetic items do not qualify). The funds are applied as a 5-year forgivable mortgage on the home.
  • Minor Rehabilitation Grant Program - Under this program a grant of up to $12,000 is provided for code-related repairs of an emergency nature which threatens the health or safety of the occupants of the home.
  • Accessibility Grant Program - Provides grant assistance to an income-eligible homeowner or renter of a single-family residence or up to a four-unit complex to eliminate physical barriers which inhibit the use of the dwelling unit by a person with Disability. The maximum grant amount is $7,000.