Building Safety Department
The Building Safety Department provides plan review, permit issuance, and field inspection services for all new construction and remodeling in the community. This includes, residential, multifamily, commercial and industrial buildings.
The department works closely with all contractors doing business within Village limits, to assure they are registered and licensed, and are adhering to the 2018 ICC Building Code.
Please find below the following permit applications:
- Building Permit Application (New Construction and Renovations)
- Burn Permit Application
- Demolition Permit Application
- Electrical Residential/Commercial/Industrial Permit Application
- Fire Sprinkler Permit Application
- Mechanical/HVAC Permit Application
- Miscellaneous Building Permit Application (Fence, Shed, Deck, Driveway Roof & Tent)
- Mobile Home Installation Permit Application
- Mobile Home Application for Certificate of Occupancy
- Nuisance Complaint Form
- Plumbing Residential/Commercial/Industrial Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application Form
- Swimming Pool Installation Notice
- Swimming Pool Permit Application
Chicken Coop Application
Please see Chicken Coop Ordinance for more information.
All contractors doing work within Village limits must register or apply for a license with the Building Safety Department.
Electrical and HVAC Contractors
All Electrical and HVAC Contractors will need to apply for a license with the Village of Rantoul and renew annually. Please provide the following items with your application:
Completed Application Form
Proof of Insurance applicable to class of license requested
Copy of current licensing with another city or proof a passed ICC examination.
$50.00 check payable to the Village of Rantoul, cash, or make payment using
Online Bill Pay located under Building Safety Online Payments
All other contractors (Plumbing, Roofing, Carpentry, and Solar Installers) must fill out a one-time General Contractor Registration Application and provide up-to-date supporting documents on an annual bases, prior to being issued a permit. No license will be issued for this application.
Please provide the following with your application:
Completed Application Form
Proof of Insurance
Proof of State License (if applicable)
• Access monthly reports prepared by the Inspection and Planning Department.
The department adopts and enforces a series of codes, primarily those promulgated by the International Code Council, National Fire Protection Association, and State of Illinois. At this time the Department has adopted the 2018 and the 2018 IBCC Code with no addendums. Please see Building Codes for more information.